Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The old refrigerator.

Who would have guessed that getting a new refrigerator would start the memory train going?

As I pulled the old fridge away from the wall so as to clean and mop behind and under where it had been. I saw the tag on the back where the dated we put the fridge into service, 05-14-84. My sons were almost 3 years old. After cleaning the floor under the fridge and wiping off the wall I pushed it back.

Time to remove the refrigerator art from the doors and sides. First came the magnets with the pictures and quotes on them. Made me stop and read them again. Memories of the many drawings and colored pictures from years flooded my mind. Ninja turtles, Danger Mouse and Mr. Greenbacks. Danger Mouse was a cartoon from England. When my boys started school the teacher thought they were from England because they spoke with an English accent. Sandra had to tell her why they had that accent. Those pictures were long gone. Every year a school picture was put on the door till some how they were taken down and no one noticed but new ones appeared.

But there were some that never came off. They were sealed in clear contact paper and stuck on the door. One was a little note that Robert had written in his class. It read, " I am special because I am good. I can help other people and make them feel good.." His teacher had written a note on it that read "you make me feel good." Another was a poem written by Steven. It tied colors to things or feelings. A few were, "Red, the color of war, Blue the color of etc, etc." I would copy the thing but I can't find any of the things I pulled off. I hope they didn't get put in the trash after I retired for the night last night.

As I showed Steven and Stephie where I had cut them off the door I told them, "well, it's time for them to go and time to start putting stuff from your kids on."

The new fridge came today, it is plugged in and humming, nice and clean, glass shelf so you can see when is on the shelf under it, room for gallons of milk and juice on the door. Clean crisper, with glass top. And on the door, hand drawn pictures by great new artists by the name of Lianna and Sophie. Soon there will be essays on there. Their class pictures will be put up only to be covered up by new papers and report cards.

I hope the new refrigerator will be as proud of those works as the old one was with it's things. As for me, I guess I am like the old fridge, I did what I was suppose to do, I displayed my pride of the family.

The old yellow fridge is now gone, it was put on a truck and driven away. A new white one is in it's place. Thanks old fridge, you served us well, and taught us to keep on humming and doing our job.

No comments: