Monday, November 10, 2008

bakeing time

Today I made cookies. Not really a big deal but these were special cookies. Made with love and care. You see, I didn't make them by myself. Lianna, my granddaughter helped me.

Today was a holiday at her school and she had been around all day. She had been gone over the weekend. To her other grandma's house so I really missed her. We played games, she made me angry now and then but I just remind myself, she is what we made her. So in the evening, I said. 'let's make cookies." Boy was she excited! She ran around getting the mixing bowl, the cookie sheets, etc. Then of course she had to help. I had to keep reminding myself, i am not making cookies. I am making a young lady. I waited as she rolled the dough into little balls, we were making peanut better cookies. Then I let her flatten then down with a fork and had to tell her how. Took a little longer then I expected but the joy will live with me forever.

Soon the cookies were done and she was so proud! She took some to her mom, her dad and me. Then she told me, "don't move the napkin on the table, it's hiding a cookie for Sophie. ( her baby sister)

All in all, a fun way to spend some time with a 4 year old, soon to be 5. I hope that someday she will remember when she had to help "grandpa" make cookies.

She laughed, she kept asking if they were done. Wanted to take them out of the oven but I didn't let her. She understood that she could get burned if she did it wrong but as soon as I told her it was okay, those cookies came of the sheets in a hurry.

You know, I think making them was more fun then eating them.

1 comment:

Lisa M. said...

I am sure she will remember them with fondness.

Those are the stuff we are made of.

Memories.