Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sound memories

I was in Purto Rico, seeing the sights. I had spent a good part of the morning touring Moro Castle An old Spanish Fort that guards the entrance to the harbor of San Juan. At interesting place to spend some time. I walked all the areas I could get too. I dropped out of the tour group and visited where and for how long I wanted.

Toward evening I went into old San Juan. Narrow streets, tree lined plazas. Parks with TVs where the locals could go watch TV without cost.

While walking around and having a wonderful time i hear some strange music. I followed my ears till I came across a band playing a kind of music I had never heard before. They were banging on 55 gallon medal drums. They had cut them to different lenghts and somehow tuned the top into different notes. It was a steel band. I listened in awe at how they could get music out of discarded metal barrels. they also had gourds of different sizes that had ridges cut into the sides. These they raked with a pick and made a scratching sound. I learned that some of the steel bands use guitars too but they are not purest. I have often thougt of the sound of steel drums and of sitting on a beach of white sand listening to the sound. I have CDs and records of steel drums but they can't come close to capturing the sound but it is all I have now. I have added a couple of them to my music selections on this blog. They have "sb" before the title. Take a listen if you wish.

1 comment:

CR said...

Sounds lovley, white beaches, drums... Oh brings back memories as I spent a week on Maui loved the isolated beaches. Hugs Carla