Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I remember

Today I was sitting on the front porch and as I looked at the trees starting to put on their green overcoat I got to thinking.

I remember being able to get a Bruce fried pie and a coke for 15 cents.

I remember soda costing 5 cents each or 6 for 25 cents

I remember my bike, red with chrome fenders and saddle bags.
Pee Wee Herman had nothing on me!

I remember licorice candy in the shape of a baby about an inch long
We called them Tar Babys, a penny each.

I remembe a Pelon. A free bee at the store when you bought stuff. Most of the
it was a piece of fried pork skin. Put you hand in the bag and pick
one out.

I remember the pickel jar, pay your nickle and put your hand in and choose a
pickel.

I remember a giant barrol of lard, bring your own can and the butcher would
fill your can. Or you could buy a prepackage block but that cost more

I remember the butcher would get half a beef uncut and he would cut it anyway
you wished. Cheese in one long block, he would slice it as thick or
thin as you wanted.

I remember mom send us to the store to buy stuff and telling the man "put it on
bill" and he didn't even ask your name. He knew everyone.

I remember kerosine, used for lots of things. We used it to cook, heat and if you
stepped on a nail, it was poured into the wound. I recall one of my
sisters slipped and fell on a gravel patch and after they pulled out
the gravel they cleaned it out with kerosine

I remember going to visit friends without calling first. They would welcome you
in and you could spend an afternoon with them. Phones were not in
in the normal home in those days.

I remember every home had a bottle of idion or mercurachrom and when you cut
yourself it was put on. Now you can't even buy it anymore. We called it
monkey blood. "get the monkey blood, Lee cut himself."

I wonder how we all lived to be old men and ladies. The times were much more laid back, we played in the street, brought comic books for 5 and then 7 cents each. We walked where we had to go and even the 100 degree heat didn't trouble us, it was all we knew.





No comments: