Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Utah for graduation

It was a nice early morning when I boarded the aircraft for Salt Lake City. After many years and many calls from and to my son it was time for him to walk across the stage and receive his degree.

I first flew to Denver where we were surprised to get there early. So we had about 20 mins on the plane before they loaded more passengers. There were only 3 of us that were going on to SLC. Nice time to just chat with the crew and get an extra FULL can of soda! We had a lady captain and she was very friendly and a joy to speak with if only for a few mins.

At last she told us to take our seats as the other were coming down the ramp. I sat in my place and soon a man asked it the seat by the window was taken and I told him no, so he sat there. In no time a young lady asked it the middle seat was open and I told her yes, so she sat there. We smiled at each other and I told her I was going to Provo to see my son graduate and she looked at me and said she was going to Provo to see her mom graduate! Then the man by the window said he was going to go see his son do the same in Provo. As more and more people came on we saw that lots of them were wearing BYU gear!

In a very short time, we landed and parted ways. As I was walking down the concorse I saw the lady that had sat next me ahead and she turned and waved and said bye. I got to where my son was waiting and we were on our way. First stop, Brick Oven for a pizza. They really were good and very filling. Robert wanted to go be with the roommates from his freshman year and told me I was suppose to go too but I was just to tired and begged off and just slept. I had been so pepped up I had not slept the night before.

The Big Day! Commencement Exercises Day. We were up early and went out for breakfast, no food in the house. Then back home for some talk and picture taking. In no time at all it was time to get dress. We left a little early to be able to get a parking place but all of Provo had the same idea. But we found one and soon we were walking to the Marriott Center. As we walked up the stairs I saw a lady and she turned and pointed at me and I pointed at her. As she pointed, she said "your the man from the plane!" and I said "Your the lady from the plane." Of all the people walking toward the center we ended up walking next to each other. I introduced Robert and told him this is the lady I told you about. She took out her cell phone and called someone and said "remember the man I told you about? I am walking up the stairs with him." Then off she went to find her mom.

I went in and found a seat while Robert went on to where the students were meeting. I watched the march into the Marriott Center on the big screen and then as they came into the building everyone stood up. It took them close to an hour for then all to march in and after some time most of the people sat down, me too!

When they announced that there were 6000+ grads I was shocked. I pictured myself there till midnight but BYU does things a bit different. The had all the PHD stand, then the Masters, then the Baccalaureates stand and while they were all standing they awarded the degrees in mass.

We heard from Dieter F. Uchtdorf, second counselor in the first Presidency and then from Russell M Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve. Both of them gave talks there were very well received. I was glad to hear Elder Nelson talk about how proud he was to be there and how proud the students and parents should be on this day.

Next day, up early and off to the Provo Tabernacle for the convocation service. Once again, Robert and I parted as he went somewhere and I went in to find a seat. Found a good one where I could take pictures. Soon the hour was upon us and the students from the College of Engineering and Technology marched in and took their places in the baloney above. Again, we had talks and then the awarding of degrees. One by one, across the stage walked the graduates. I must confess, as they walked across the stage I thought "Geeks on parade". I told my son about that and he said that is what they called themselfs. He has a Tshirt with Geeks written in Binary. Only a fellow geek would know what it said.

Yes, I cried, but just a little and I don't think anyone saw that. Afterwards we had snacks and drinks in the garden of the Tabernacle. Met the professor and other that taugh my son. Met his boss and he told me Robert was one of the best teacher's assistains he ever had. Not afraid to do gradeing, something even the professer didn't like to do. Told me Robert once came in at 3 AM to do grading that someone had left undone. I told him Robert was a worker and that is how he made it to the Y. I told the professor that Robert had always told me he was going to the Y and that I would tell him that is a fine goal but that so many want to go that it is very hard to get in. The professer told me, "yes, it is very hard to get into BYU and even harder to graduate from BYU".

This will end part one. Part two will have picturs and stories of our drive home and our last few hours at the Y

2 comments:

Sally said...

Thank you Lee, I have been waiting to read how your trip went. Thank you so much for the detail, I felt like I was there watching with you.
I am looking forward to part II with baite breath and to see the photos, thank you for sharing this with us.
Sally

Kevin and Brandi said...

Lee congrats to your son! That is awesome!! I'm glad that you had a good time while you were here in Utah.