Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pain defeats me

Last year I decided to redo my sons room before he came home from BYU for the summer. Down came the ninja turtle curtains, down came the posters on the wall left over from his younger days. Off came the glowing stars from the ceiling, then the puttying of the holes left by many hanging hooks and staples.

Of course then there came the sanding and painting. About this time my shoulder really started to hurt but I had to finish so I kept going. At last I got the room done and thought my shoulder would soon feel better.

Around Christmas time I started to work on the bathroom, Putty up some cracks, again over my head, but when I was done my shoulder hurt as if I had a knife in the joint. After a few days I started to sand but the pain made me stop.

Well, I have been waiting to feel better but it just hurt worse and worse. At last I went to the doctor and you know, it stopped hurting while I was there. When the doctor saw me he held my shoulder and lifted my arm, I jerked back and then he help my shoulder again and lifted my arm forward and once again I felt like bashing him on the nose. So off to Xray he sent me.

I waited for a couple of days before I went in, had to wait for my check to come in. Once I got there they had me lay on the table and twisted my arm around this way and that way. It hurt a little but when I got home I was really in pain. It has been 3 days now and today I had tears in my eyes, it hurt so bad. A friend stopped by and offered me some of her pain meds but I turned her down. Didn't want to get anyone in trouble. But tomorrow I am going to call my doctor for some meds.

I am defeated. It hurts to comb my hair, what l little I have left. Hurts to brush my teeth, just hurts to use it. My friend noticed that I had my shoulder hanging lower then the other shoulder. I just want to lie in bed and sleep. I went looking for any pills that may have been left over from my wife. I now know why they take them away.

Plus today I got the word that the Xrays show something is wrong. They didn't tell me what just that I had to go see another doctor and he/she would explain what was wrong and what they wanted to do.

My doctor told me he thought I had a rotor cuff problem but before he was sure I had to have xrays and if that didn't show anything then I would have an MRI or sonorgraph. Looks like the xray showed something so I guess it is not a soft tissue problem.

But for now, I hurt. Think I'll go check the secret hiding place my wife use to have. Must be some vicadin somewhere.

1 comment:

Angel said...

I'm so sorry to hear you are huring, Lee. But, I'm glad you were able to have a doctor see it and that something showed up in your x-ray. I have severe wrist issues and had to pay for an MRI (we don't have insurance) and it came back "normal." Nothing more frustrating than having something hurt and for a doctor to tell you there is nothing wrong. Grrr.

Take it easy and do what the doctors tell you. I hope you were able to get some meds.

Hang in there. I'm thinking of you.